3/8/13

home sweet home


“One must maintain a little bittle of summer, even in the middle of winter.” 
― Henry David Thoreau

.................

after spending two months painting at the beach, i'm back home in wisconsin. and while it's a bit of an adjustment to be back in the snowy landscape, it is so good to be home.

i've been unpacking, organizing and setting up my studio. 

last year when i returned from the beach, i painted my studio ivorythe only change i'm making this year is to set up my painting space on the floor the way i truly adore!


it makes my heart soar to spread out all of my art supplies and paint on the ground, just as i did as a kid in my backyard. 

but i haven't been able to paint this way in my studio while recording painting videos because of my old lighting and camera setup. 


but before i left for the beach, my AMAZING husband, brian found these fold-up softbox lights that are perfect for traveling and fit right beside me as i paint. 

the lights along with the camera (a canon vixia hfm500) are so perfect, very affordable and portable. brian attached the camera to a mic stand with a "camera to mic stand adapter," which can be found at a camera or music store. 

i can't wait to set them up in my studio!

while i get my studio set and start painting this weekend, i thought i'd share a few snapshots from some of our every days making paella, writing, sketching, reading, and listening to music...













What do you have planned for the weekend?

Whatever you do, I wish you much joy and inspiration!

Have a lovely weekend!

xoxo,


................

registration for HOW TO PAINT AN OWL 2 opens march 15. 

14 comments:

  1. Juliette, It is so fun to get a little peek into your studio! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! you and your husband have been very busy. looks so inspirational. hope you have a lovely weekend too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, teddi! we have been busy and making it all a lot of fun too! have a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing and have fun setting your new studio space up Juliette! Have a beautiful and creative weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. having so much fun in my studio! finally warm enough to open the windows a bit too :)

      Delete
  4. So happy you are getting settled back in at "home" ~ although I do miss you here!! I had such fun visiting with you during your stay and loved every moment of our walks and long chats! They did my heart and soul such good!! :) Sending sunny hugs to you!! *Love how you are setting up your studio space...I know lots of creativity will bloom from that spot!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that picture of you working on the floor like that. I start my paintings on the floor so that I can use runny paint and then use an easel towards the end so my back gets a rest. :) Lovely to see inside your home, I like your flooring! Have a great weekend Juliette.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, jess! the wood floors are pretty hard on the back and knees, so i started kneeling on a little bean bag and make sure to take lots of breaks. yoga helps too :)

      Delete
  6. Welcome back to Wisconsin! Glad to hear a famous artist works on the floor! That makes me feel like I'm doing something famous! Enjoy your family and again welcome back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are the sweetest, cindi! thank you! painting on the floor is the only way i feel free. and being back in my home studio is so nice because there's no tension about making a mess :)

      Delete
  7. I also love working on the floor! It makes me feel more free. But it does hurt the knees! How do you protect your flooring? Currently I don't worry about the carpet & just use a drop cloth, but we are building a house & will have a studio in it. I don't know what to do about the floor in the new studio??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i started kneeling on a bean bag, which really helps, especially on the wood floor or outdoor stone patio. i also take lots of breaks and do yoga often. i love having hard wood floors in my studio... it's much easier to clean if/when i do spill and it makes everything feel so much more open.

      happy painting!

      Delete

Feel free to say hello and ask questions. I would be delighted to hear from you! xo -juliette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...