5/7/12

Our Bathroom Remodel: In Progress!


well, we are remodeling our guest bathroom. it's the first bathroom we've ever remodeled.




when brian and i moved into our house a few years ago, the first things we did were put in a bluestone patio and the BIGGEST sliding glass door we could find!

these photos so don't do justice to the backyard (reminding me i should snap a few new ones). you can see more photos in our home tour here.

needless to say, it was a BIG job. and our hard work has really been enjoyed, so with the bathroom remodel, we're making sure to do it right.


our house is of the 1940's, so i want to keep that vintage feel. i really adore the classic sink and tub...


but that light fixture and mirror are ready to go.



we started the project by ripping up the linoleum floor. underneath two layers of terrible linoleum, we found hard wood floors that matched the rest of the house. so we thought we'd remove everything to the hard wood and refinish the floors.


but we found the wood all around the toilet had rotted and needed to be removed.

we thought about just replacing those rotted boards, but after a bit more excavation, the damage was not very repairable. and as we tried to remove the staples from the wood floor, each broke into tiny pins that became impossible to get out.

and we really had our hearts set on vintage black and white hexagon mosaics...so they new tile is on it's way!


and our bathroom currently looks like this. 

i kind of like the rustic barn board look, but know that wouldn't keep with the style of our home. so instead, we'll add our beautiful black and white mosaic floor...


and then get started on replacing the yellow tile. we still haven't decided on what to replace it with yet.

any suggestions for wall tile or bathroom remodels? 


*BATHROOM REMODEL UPDATE*

Here is the finished bathroom. Complete with just what I'd imagined...white subway tile, gray grout, and classic black and white hexagon floor tiles. And I managed to find an embroidered bird shower curtain...it completely makes the room elegant but very quaint. 

It was all a lot of work to do ourselves and it took about 3 months to complete, but that just makes us appreciate it even more!

...........................

ps. we're keeping the hula girl shower curtain (just moving it into the other bathroom). those hula girls were the first thing brian and i ever bought together! 

i hope you had a wonderful weekend!





10 comments:

  1. Il est toujours bon d'avoir des projets qui se réalisent...
    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. indeed...it's something i've been imagining for so long and it's wonderful to see it come into life :) best wishes! xo

      Delete
  2. You've gotta keep the hula girls...special memories! We've just done our main bathroom and I know how much work it is...AND we hired out to do it (my husband is an accountant and has no interest in handy man work...as he often reminds me! lol!!). So I know the surprises you can find and how you change thinking, often going in a different direction or back to your original idea. I'm laughing at the yellow tile...my mother-in-law had that in her bathroom -- in green. We just went with a simple tile in our bathroom -- white subway tiles and I love, love, love it. I wanted no pattern on the tile because I wanted the window, floor and accessories to stand out. Whatever you choose I'm sure it will be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to suggest subway tiles but that can be more modern. I think they make hexagonal tiles? That may give you more of a vintage feel and you can choose a neutral color. Glass tile (which I love) would be too modern. You could always get a simple tile and add the carved trim tile they make to spice it up. Can you tell I watch HGTV?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would say natural stone of some sort. Make it feel like you are showering under a waterfall. You know me though. I always want to be outside. Great work on the demo. Looks like a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bathroom is next on our list, I'm a bit scared because it's such a big job. I am going to use small and medium sized glass tiles in our bathroom in a pale milky blue with clear taupe streaks in them. I just love them and I think they will give the look I'm trying to achieve. Good luck with your project.
    Kepi

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My vote: SUBWAY TILE .. it has a vintage feel but.. is also used in modern homes. I have it and love it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you could get away with putting up black modern tile for the shower walls... Good thing you guys did all this before the wood under the toilet completely broke in it self from rotting. Good luck!! Can't wait to see a finished product.

    -Irwin Zinkin

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to say hello and ask questions. I would be delighted to hear from you! xo -juliette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...